City of Arlington
THIS POSITION WILL CLOSE AT 5:00PM ON July 27, 2017.
Salary: $4,848.16 - $6,060.16 per month. This is a full-time position. This position is located in the City Attorney's Office.
Duties: Under general supervision and direction, this position is responsible for performing legal research; drafting legal opinions, legal memoranda, and other legal documents; advising city employees and officials regarding city legal matters; investigating claims and complaints made against the City; representing the City in legal proceedings; and in some instances, prosecuting violators of City ordinances.
Requirements: Bachelor's J.D. degree and preferably six months to one year as a practicing attorney. License to practice law in the State of Texas. Attachment of a Resume and Transcript to your submission of this application is requested. Pre-placement screening includes criminal history check.
Work Schedule: This position will be scheduled to work Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Essential Job Functions:
1. Reviews Open Records requests to timely respond or request an Attorney General opinion.
2. Researches, prepares and litigates civil lawsuits for the City and prosecutes violators in municipal court.
3. Reviews, collects and prepares suits for the collection of assessments and other claims of the City.
4. Prepares and submits written reports to the City Attorney on proposed legislation, progress reports, legal opinions, current lawsuits and contingent lawsuits.
5. Aids in the preparation of ordinances and resolutions.
6. Conducts initial interviews with claimants and city officials, recommends actions to be taken.
7. Conducts legal research regarding the consequences of various municipal government functions and prepares opinions for review by the City Attorney.
8. Provides training and legal updates to City departments on behalf of City Attorney.
For more information and to apply, please visit www.arlington-tx.gov. The City of Arlington is proud to be an EOE. Reasonable accommodations available upon request.